- 1 cup of almond meal
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, maple crystals or any raw, organic sugar
- Up to 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons each of cloves and nutmeg
- Pinch of iodised salt or sea salt – iodised salt is GREAT if you have an underactive thyroid, or are low in iodine
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut flakes – for added health fat and flavour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed – for added crunch and protein
- Mix all ingredients together, then spread out on a lined baking tray to bake and dry – oven setting should be a 200C /400F.
- You’ll know crumble is ready when it begins to brown a little. Take a fork and carefully mix the crumble around on the tray so the underside also begins to harden and dry out also. Taste a little and when you’re happy with the flavour and crumbly-ness, take out and let cool before topping whatever food floats your boat!
This recipe is a fantastic protein-rich topping you can use with a variety of foods when you need a good dose of healthy fats and muscle-repairing protein. I like to eat this on top of stewed pears, berries or apples – it also works really well with chia puddings!
I’m a Natural Foods Chef, yoga-loving wife of a talented artist. Writing regularly about health, happiness and food so we can shine together.
My qualifications include –
Natural Foods Chef (Natural Gourmet Institute), New York City
Integrative Nutritionist Health Coach (Institute of Integrative Nutrition)
Vinyasa Flow Yoga (Yoga Trinity Australia)
Personal Trainer (Australian Institute of Fitness)
Bachelor or Communication, Public Relations and Management (University of Canberra, ACT)