If you have found it a challenge to figure out which foods to add to your grocery list for effective fat burn, you are not alone. Yes, there is a plethora of food out there, but which ones are most effective in helping to shed pounds? There are many foods that can help whittle your middle but there are some that are simply more effective than others and deserve a space in your fridge or pantry. These foods work in ways that are different from each other, but the common thread among them is that those who eat them lose weight faster than those who do not.
1. Avocados – Avocados are high in healthy, fat-burning monounsaturated fat that helps reduce weight and increase optimal health. Avocados contain a rare form of sugar, (found primarily in avocados) called Mannoheptulose. This helps to lower excess insulin levels that can prevent you from storing fat.
2. Wild Salmon – Salmon is a treasure trove of weight loss goodies. It contains healthy omega 3 fats that help to reduce and reverse the fat cell inflammation result from weight gain. It is also high in protein. Protein is one key to triggering specific hormones such as CCK to help you feel as if you have had enough to eat. Protein also helps to synthesize muscle and muscle is metabolically active – helping you to burn calories even at rest.
3. Raw nuts – Like nuts? You are in luck if you want to lose weight. Eat any kind of nuts for fibre to ward off hunger and to also get a good dose of protein and healthy fats to help you burn fat faster. Raw nuts such as raw pistachios, brazil nuts or almonds help to produce more testosteronenaturally. Make sure you eat raw & organic nuts instead of roasted & salted to get the full weight loss and nutrition benefits.
4. Hot Peppers and Mustard – Add where you can, Chilli peppers, jalapeno peppers, cayenne peppers or 1 tsp. hot mustard to increase your fat burning metabolism by 20-25% for up to 3 hours after eating. Hot peppers and mustard can help reduce your appetite by increasing your body’s norepinephrine and epinephrine levels.
5. Green Tea – Green tea is more than just flavoured hot water when it comes to weight loss. This special tea, research shows, is loaded with potent antioxidants called catechins. The most important of these is EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate), a substance that boosts metabolism. To achieve weight loss benefits drink 2-3 cups a day. Also, compounds in green tea increase levels of hormones that tell fat cells to break down fat. This releases fat into the bloodstream and makes it available to utilize as energy.
6. Olive Oil – There are a lot of healthy reasons to add olive oil to your grocery list for optimal health, but for weight loss, oleic acid in olive oil exerts a mighty effect that takes place in the small intestine. The oleic acid is transformed in the small intestine into a compound called OEA (oleoylethanolamide) that stops hunger and suppresses appetite by sending signals to your brain telling it you’re full.
7. Garbanzo Beans (chickpeas) – Garbanzo beans also known as chickpeas, these slimming beans pack more than 2 grams of Resistant Starch per half-cup serving. Resistant starch is just another type of dietary fibre that very effectively makes you feel fuller longer. Garbanzo beans are also a great source of fibre and protein
8. Nutrients – Okay, not a food but studies show that those who are deficient in nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin E, Magnesium and Zinc, have a higher percentage of body fat and belly fat and if that isn’t bad enough these deficiencies can create bodies that can stubbornly hold on to fat.
The above foods are not only remarkable in helping you to lose weight; they are also an important part of creating optimal health. Go ahead and add them to your shopping list so you have them on hand and watch them help kick weight gain to the curb.
To Your Good Health,
Dr Lori Shemek, PhD, CNC, health and weight loss expert is the best-selling author of ‘Fire-Up Your Fat Burn! and the recently released How to Fight FATflammation (published by HarperOne) is the seminal book on scientific weight loss. Go to FATflammation.com to order.
LORI SHEMEK, Ph.D., is a leading researcher in fat cells and the owner of DLSHealthWorks, a company she created to help men and women conquer their issues with weight and self-esteem. Her work has been featured in Ladies’ Home Journal, Shape, Woman’s Day, The Rikki Lake Show, ABC, CNN, NPR, FOX News, and The Huffington Post, which recognized her as one of the nation’s top diet and nutrition experts.
Her background in psychology, nutrition and life coaching allows her to see insights that brings together science research with the real world. Not only does she look into well-researched articles, she also collaborates with top experts so that others can benefit from. Her latest book, How to Fight FATflammation, is a result of much of that work
©2020 DLS HealthWorks