A healthy self-esteem is a starting point for a happy life. Unfortunately, when you lack self-esteem, you also lack the ability to reach your true potential. Why? Because your thoughts are truly powerful!
It all starts with your beliefs.
Most people have heard the statement, “If you can dream it, you can do it,” but few people actually take it to heart. For some reason big goals seem unattainable and an “I can’t” mentality takes over.
While everyone experiences negative thoughts from time to time, you may need to make an extra effort to get through these challenges. Positive thoughts must be victorious in the end!
Tips For Developing Self-Esteem
Developing a healthy self-esteem doesn’t need to be a difficult task. There are small changes you can make to get yourself on the right track.
Try following these strategies to help you develop a healthy self-esteem:
1. Ignore negativity from others. For some reason, many people get into the habit of putting others down. You know you shouldn’t listen to these people, but sometimes you take what they’re saying to heart. It’s especially hurtful when it’s coming from someone you love.
* Some people will even steer you in the wrong direction because they think they’re doing the right thing. When it comes down to it, you’re the only one that knows yourself and your dreams. You simply can’t let anyone stand in the way!
2. Learn to accept compliments. You might toss off compliments as lies because some people may have ulterior motives. While this might be true, in most cases people are being genuine. After all, most people won’t go out of their way to give you a false compliment.
* Accepting compliments will help you discover what you’re good at and strengthen your self-confidence.
3. Get a life coach. Life coaches are in the business of helping you live your life to its fullest potential. You don’t need to be scared or embarrassed to seek one out. If a life coach doesn’t seem feasible for you, you can look into getting some self-help guides.
* Go online or to a local bookstore to find some relevant workbooks and resources.
4. Use affirmations. I use affirmations all the time! Affirmations are great self-esteem boosters because they show your brain what you already know you can achieve. They bring positive energy into the present moment.
* You can read affirmations on the subjects of your choice or you can get into the habit of writing your own affirmations. Nothing can be more targeted to your true feelings than your own words!
5. Avoid comparing yourself to others. It’s easy to get into the habit of comparing yourself negatively to other people. Remind yourself that everyone is unique. You’re equipped with your own set of strengths and weaknesses, so the best thing you can do for yourself is concentrate on developing your own strengths.
Follow Your Dreams
Once you’ve worked on your initial feelings about self worth, it’s time to take a step in the right direction. A part of a healthy self-esteem is having the drive to take action toward your goals.
Have a plan and follow through. If you feel that you’ve improved your self-esteem but then fail to take action towards your dream, it will only be a matter of time before your self-esteem begins to wane again.
When you’re faced with challenges, actively seek solutions. When you do, you’ll soon notice what a positive role your healthy self-esteem plays in your life!
Kristy Lee Wilson is sought after fitness professional. A former Australian Gymnastics Team member and three-time Australian Power Tumbling Champion, Kristy also spent the past nine years wowing crowds as an acrobatic performer in the world-renowned CIRQUE DU SOLEIL production La Nouba.
She is a Nike SPARQ Elite Coach on sharecare.com, owner of KLW Fitness, spokesperson and athlete for Flexsolate, and an Advisory Board Member for the Excellence Through Exercise Foundation – a foundation dedicated to fighting the childhood obesity epidemic. Most of all, Kristy is dedicated to helping YOU live your best life possible.
Visit Kristy’s website at http://www.kristywilson.com.