Summer is almost here in the southern hemisphere, and it’s a great time to head outside and enjoy the long, sunny days and shake of the winter’s laziness in an effort to be healthier. Here are some of the benefits of spending time outdoors and how you can do it.
The benefits of going outside
Regular exercise is vital to good health; it encourages weight loss, improves blood sugar levels, increases brain function and reduces the risk of diabetes, osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease. Being outdoors gives you a reason to move. Gardens, parks, water and fresh air naturally encourage activities like walking and swimming – making it much easier to get fit and healthy.
Spending time outdoors also provides other health benefits. The sun is the best source of Vitamin D as our bodies can’t get sufficient amounts of this nutrient from food. Regular, but sensible and safe sun exposure increases our Vitamin D intake, which provides many benefits such promoting good bone health, immune function, cell growth and anti-inflammatory function. Studies have also linked Vitamin D deficiencies to depression and concluded that exposure to it can lift your mood and energy. Nature also has a calming effect on us. It provides an escape from the busy city life and fills our senses with fresh sights and scents that boost stress-reduction and lead to happier lives. Many Aussies are Vitamin D deficient due to our over caution when it comes to sun exposure but remember, we do need to get some sun, but just be sensible!
What to do
While running, walking and cycling are excellent ways to get fit, there are many more healthy – and fun – activities that promote movement and an active lifestyle.
- Gardening – people of all ages and capabilities can enjoy this healthy activity that improves strength, mobility and flexibility, and helps reduce stress levels.
- Backyard games – outdoor games like cricket, races and football are activities that the whole family can enjoy.
- Swimming pool activities – swimming and playing around in the pool are fun ways to get our bodies moving, and with the added benefit of cooling us down during hot summer days.
- BBQ with friends – friends make us happier, provide support and boost our self confidence. Spending time with friends also helps us relax and forget some of our worries. A barbecue with friends is a good opportunity to head outside and unwind after a long week.
- Walk the dog – taking your dog for a walk around the neighbourhood can keep you and your canine friend happy and healthy.
- Take regular breaks outside – when we work long hours, we often forget to take a few well-deserved breaks. Schedule proper breaks from work and aim to head outside for a walk or lunch in a park.
If you want to spend extra time outdoors, you can make your garden even more inviting by preparing an outdoor area from where you can enjoy your backyard in comfort and with protection from the elements when necessary. Bozzy Shade Blinds manufacture and install quality and customised products like alfresco blinds and outdoor shutters in Perth.
Their team of highly qualified experts can provide professional advice, quality service and solutions to help you create a beautiful outdoor area. Their outdoor blinds are manufactured with superior material which can endure even the toughest weather conditions. For more information call 1300 800 234 or visit their website today.